Stolen Words

“Stolen Words” written by Melanie Florence and illustrated by Gabrielle Grimard. The book starts off with a girl and her grandfather walking home from school. while they are walking home  the girl ask her grandfather how to say grandfather in Cree he told her he does not know he lost his words long ago she ask him how did you lose your words he answers they were taking away from me then he tells her about his experience in residential school and how the got punished if they used their words  and they got forced to learn English. The next day the girl ran out of school with a book in her hand and ran up to the grandfather and said:” Tanisi, Nimosom” which was  Grandfather in Cree.  Then he opens the book and starts mumbling to himself then when they are walking home she asks her grandfather can you read to me in Cree then he answers fast and says yes. For  the grandfather, it was like a new chapter in his life and he found his words. I thought it was a really good book because it explains  what happens to the First  Nation

Thank you for reading my blog